Old fashioned Coal region potato candy with peanut butter, very popular at holidays and bake sales.Made with — tah, dah — a boiled potato mixed with powdered sugar, then rolled flat, spread with peanut butter and finally rolled like a jellyroll. Give it a try one time and you will keep it on your “treat” list!
- Category: Candy
- white potato, size of a small egg
- 1 pound confectioner's sugar, more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Smooth or chunky peanut butter, as needed
- Boil and peel potato.
- In mixing bowl, mash potato smooth with a fork. Cool to lukewarm.
- Begin mixing in confectioners sugar. If desired, add a few drops of vanilla. Continue adding sugar and mixing until the mixture is the consistency of pie dough.
- Sprinkle a little confectioners sugar on a cutting board, or put the dough between two sheets of wax paper, and roll the mixture to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Spread thin layer of peanut butter atop the rolled mixture.
- Roll up the sheet of candy, like a jellyroll, loosening it from the board with a knife as you roll. Chill, cut into slices and serve. Refrigerate leftovers.